Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I'm a Bread-Maker

Finally.

Something worth writing about.

I think I am pretty much writing this for me, because I don't think anyone even remembers this blog exists.  It's been nearly a year since I wrote on it last.  Oh, well.

Well, I did it.  At least I think I did.

I found a homemade bread recipe that WORKS and turns out WONDERFUL!!

I got on this bread making kick a few months ago and I have tried several recipes.  I even went and bought a bread maker.  Thankfully it was only $10 @ the DI.  I downloaded videos, watched youtube, studied about dough conditioners....everything.

I LOVE bread.  If I had a gluten intolerance I think I would die.  Literally die.

I have many fond memories of coming home from school and smelling fresh bread coming out of the oven.  My mom is a fabulous baker and bread was something she made often and it always turned out delicious.

Well, here it is. The amazing recipe that I have made several loaves out of now and haven't had any problems! It's great for sandwiches too!

This is technically a bread maker recipe, I just do not like the awkward shaped loaves that come from a bread maker. I choose to let the bread maker do the mixing and kneading and then I take out the dough, shape it, and bake it in my own oven.




(Mostly) Whole Wheat Bread

1 1/3 cups warm water
3 tbsp canola oil
3 tbsp vital wheat gluten
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp non-instant dry milk
2 tsp dough enhancer
2 tsp yeast

If you would like, this recipe can be made in a bread maker. Just put in ingredients in the order listed and choose your settings.

Otherwise-

Combine water, yeast, and honey. Let sit for 5-8 mins.
Stir in remaining ingredients until well incorporated. This is where a kitchen aid mixer would be super handy.
Knead dough for 8-10 minutes. Then let dough rest in a bowl covered with a dish towel for 45-60 minutes.
Punch the dough down and divide in half. Shape into two loaves and place in greased bread pans (I use glass pans). Cover dough again and let rise until double in size. About 1/2 hour.
Bake at 350F for 45 minutes. When done, top and bottom of bread should sound hollow when tapped, remove immediately from pan and let cool on a cooling rack.
As tempting as it is, I don't suggest cutting into this bread until it is completely cooled down.

Well that's it. I find this bread delicious and if you chose to try it I sure hope you do too!



No comments:

Post a Comment